How do I format a memory card?
These instructions describe Format on a Windows computer. This operation will delete all files on your card and return the card to a “like new” condition. We recommend using a high speed USB port for the format. A 16GB card will take about 15-20 min to format on a USB 2.0 port. It will take many times more than that to format on a USB 1.1 port.
1. Open the Start Menu and then Computer.
2. Take note of the existing Devices with Removable Storage
3. With the camera On, connect the camera to a USB 2.0 port on the computer.
4. Watch for a new device to be added to the list of Devices with Removable Storage. This is your camera.
5. Open the folder DCIM/100Media
6. Copy any files you want to keep to another folder on your computer.
7. Go back up to the folder Computer/Devices .
8. Right click on the Camera Removable Device Name.
9. Select the format option.
10. Confirm the format only when you are sure you are working with the camera drive and you have backed up any files you need to keep.